The Kids' Wings units for All the Way Home and Flipped introduce your students to stories told from two points of view. With 35 pages, All the Way Home engages students in historical fiction through cooperative learning and high level thinking. Your students will be transported back in time to New York in the 1940s. The unit prepares students for reading this book about friendship, baseball, and polio.
Activities in the unit for All the Way Home include
- comparing books about heroes,
- preparing for dialectical journaling,
- map study,
- compound/complex sentence game,
- predict/confirm chapter questions,
- character quilts,
- writing poetry,
- a poem for two voices,
- multiple-choice comprehension,
- converting non-standard English to standard English,
- crossword puzzle,
- summarizing the chapters,
- summary writing through a ballad,
- logic puzzle,
- Math from Baseball to the Brooklyn Bridge,
- literary heritage contained in common phrases,
- researching polio, and
- discussion/writing prompts.
Flipped has alternating chapters flipping from the girl to the boy.